Monday, April 1, 2013

Kelly Anne Blount guest post and Grishma review


So many people have asked me, “How did you come up with all of those different character names?”
Well, I’ll tell you, but I will have to back up a bit first.

When I first started writing, I knew that I needed to write with an audience in mind. Of course, the
young adult fantasy audience was my primary target. But I wanted a wider arc. Who else could I
entice to read my book? That’s when I had a fabulous idea!

BRAVO! Yes, Bravo, as in the television cable network. I love everything about Bravo! I watch all of the
Real Housewives Programs, Millionaire Matchmaker, etc. So, how could I merge my love of Bravo with
my novel, Grishma?

The answer was easy! I would take names from some of my favorites on Bravo and turn them
into character names in my novel. For example, Andy Cohen is the Executive Vice President of
Development and Talent and host of Watch What Happens Live, well I just switched around the
letters in his last name and Viola! I came up with Necoh. The delicious tangy red lera berries, were
derived from the word “real” as in Real Housewives. And what about the adorable orvba creatures?
Well, just switch around the letters and Ta Da! You have Bravo!

Now, I didn’t always switch up the letters, in some cases I used actual names of people on Bravo. Like
Bethenny, Ryder’s mother in Grishma, is actually named after Bethenny Frankel. Or the giggy bird,
which is named after the one and only Giggy the Pomeranian, Lisa Vanderpump’s adorable dog.

This innovative idea helped me create unique names and characters that no one else had ever
written. There are at least nineteen characters in Grishma that whose names were inspired by Bravo
celebrities. Can you find them all?


In the world of Necoh, everyone fears Grishma, a hideous murderous beast responsible for ruining or ending the lives of anyone who dare cross her.

As a young boy, Ryder lived with his family, deep in the caves underneath the Kadin Forest, unaware of the horrors of the world. His simple world was turned upside down one horrible night when Grishma attacked his family, killing his father and kidnapping his mother and younger sister.

From that night on, Ryder devoted his life to killing Grishma. He tracked the monster from Necoh, to our world, and back again. Unfortunately, during his quest, he accidentally transported Brooklyn, a high school junior into his tumultuous world, where she is mistakenly identified as Princess Sophie, the missing princess of Sumner.

Days after Princess Sophie's return, Grishma plots and manipulates the King into drugging and marrying off his only daughter to Prince Algid of Dratun. Desperate to save Brooklyn, who now believes she is the long lost princess, his mother, and his little sister, Ryder embarks on the deadliest part of his quest.

Will he save Brooklyn? 

Will she ever regain her memory? 

What will become of his mother and sister?

Through epic adventure, loss, and love, GRISHMA depicts the strength of the human spirit and the tight bonds formed by the unique creatures of Necoh.


Where to buy~ Amazon


Crystal's review:

Hottie from another world chasing hideous rotten fish smelling beast, beautiful scenery, action all around and not to mention a girl and revenge and you've got Grishma.

Ryder isn't from this world. He's hunting a hideous murderer his people call Grishma. He's followed her to Earth and is on a mission to destroy her in order to save his mother and sister and avenge his father's death.

Brooklyn is your average teenage girl who has a huge crush on her older brother's friend Kai. But at a party she discovers a huge secret one of her BFF's has been keeping from her. This one event changes Brooklyn's life forever.

Not reading the synopsis or knowing anything about Grishma, I was in for a treat. Kelly has written a beautiful story about revenge, love and adventure. I love how she describes the world of Necoh. It seems vibrant and very easy to picture in the mind. I only wish that there was a backstory for Grishma and the world of Necoh and how it came to it's present state. Perhaps a novella or even a book 2 is in the works; maybe it's already out and I have yet to discover it.

There is so much to read in this wonderful story. I definitely recommend Grishma to those who love this type of genre =)

No comments:

Post a Comment